Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I doubt if you'll find missing is what minds are really for

Occasionally I will go two or three months without listening to Tuscadero's My Way or the Highway and when I finally return to it for a good, long listen, it's nothing short of rejuvenating.

Tuscadero was only around for a heartbeat in the 1990s, released just two albums, barely toured and they can (not inaccurately, especially in regard to their first album, The Pink Album) be characterized as overly poppy, saccharine and vacuous. But that's only on the first listen. There's something very compelling in the exhausted, inured tone of "Hot Head" and "Temper Temper" is something of an ode to mercurial moments that periodically seem to doom relationships. I didn't realize it at the time, but I doubt that at the age of 15 I could have found more positive lyrical messages than "Paper Dolls" or "freak Magnet." "Mutiny," the closing track, is the real clincher though. Even though it's long and difficult to sing along, it is my favorite break-up song, it is quixotically playful and musing, and I have put it on almost every mix tape/cd for the past ten years.
Tuscadero releases my inner flapper, it makes me rebound from things I didn't even realize were bothering me, it keeps me on the lighter side of wistfulness.

No comments: